Beware Of Sippy Cup Mold: Mother Warns Others About The Hidden Dangers In Children Cups After Her Son Fell Ill
March 13, 2019 16:48 By Mambee
As a parent, the headline of this article might leave you afraid as sippy cups are your go-to for your child’s beverages. That’s not wrong; however, you need to be cautious with its use to prevent your kids from being affected by mold.
javi_indy / Shutterstock.com
How mold affects your kids
There are several species of mold, a fungus that can be grown indoors and outdoors. To thrive, molds require water and warmth, and these essentials can be found in every home. Mold spores are usually everywhere.
They just wait for the right environmental conditions to grow. Many people are allergic to mold, and kids are not exempted.
Symptoms triggered by inhaling mold spores include sneezing, wheezing, coughing, itchy eyes and running nose. It is important as a parent not to downplay your child’s sniffles or coughs for a mild illness.
Burdun Iliya / Shutterstock.com
Ensure you take your child to the pediatrician, who’ll refer you to an allergist if something is discovered. Nevertheless, you don’t have to wait until your child is a victim.
You can keep your home safe from mold growth by reducing humidity levels in your home with the use of a humidifier, fixing leaking roofs instantly, and employing the use of air-conditioners with a HEPA filter to remove spores from the air.
Mother warns about sippy cup mold
Kathryn Ellis, whose child was affected by mold allergy, has taken to the internet to warn others about the hidden dangers of sippy cups.
In a video uploaded on Kathrynn’s Youtube channel, the doting mother revealed that she noticed her son had been ill for a while and, after drinking something from his cup, he would throw up.
To understand her son’s plight, Kathryn did some digging and discovered that the valve of the cup in question was not accessible. Hence, it was difficult to be washed properly. The cup was gotten from Tommee Tippee, a French manufacturer of cutesy cups.
One day, she observed that when she took a sip of her son’s milk, she could taste the chocolate milk that was placed in the cup previously.
That was when she established that the valve was the cause of her son’s illness. In the video, Kathryn opened up the valve with a hammer, and mold and residue of all the fluids taken by her son were seen accumulated in there.
She ended the video by urging other parents not to make the same mistakes she made and purchase cups that are easy to clean.
How to prevent sippy cup mold
Although Kathryn’s revelation is scary, there are ways you can prevent a sippy cup mold infection.
1. Wash the cups properly: When it comes to cleaning your child’s cup, take no chances. Know where to look for mold, especially places that tend to be continuously moist, and wash thoroughly;
2. Ensure to wash immediately after use, and disassemble each part during washing. You could also soak it in hot water before washing;
Africa Studio / Shutterstock.com
3. Sterilize the cups frequently;
4. Go for sippy cups with fewer parts, as this makes cleaning easier.
Luca Santilli / Shutterstock.com
Parents need to be cautious when it comes to their kids' health and take special note of any utensil used, especially those that go into the children's mouth.
This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not treat yourself, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.The material in this article is for informational purposes only and does not replace the advice of a certified specialist.