REAL LIFE

The Danger Of The Phones Is Real: Concerned Father Warns Parents To Limit Children’s Use Of Devices After His 4-Year-Old Daughter Underwent Surgery

Date January 21, 2019

This warning came to the fore again when a 4-year-old Thai girl almost went blind due to the overuse of her smartphone.

Her father, Dachar Nuysticker Chuayduang, took to the internet to warn other parents about the dangers of their children's eyes been glued to a screen for long hours.

READ ALSO: Does Having A Smartphone Really Cause Depression In Children?

In his post on Facebook, Dachar explained that he let his daughter start using a smartphone when she was just about 2, and he came to regret it.

The little girl soon became addicted to the electronic device and got angry whenever it was taken from her.

It was not long before she started having eyesight problems. Dacharthen procured a pair of glasses, hoping that it would prevent the occurrence of future eye problems for his little girl, but to no avail.

By the time she was 4, the doctor's diagnosed her with Amblyopia, for which she would have to be operated upon.

She underwent surgery successfully. However, the doctors warned that she should not be allowed to use devices such as an iPad, phone or computer, as the light emitted was the cause of the vision loss that led to surgery.

READ ALSO: Use It Smart! 7 Interesting Hacks For Smartphones Owners

It was then Darchar took to social media to help prevent what happened to his daughter from happening to any other child.

What is Amblyopia?

Amblyphobia, more commonly called 'lazy eyes', is an condition noted by reduced vision not correctable by glasses or contact lenses and it is not caused by any eye disease.

The brain, for some reason, does not fully acknowledge the images seen by the amblyopic eye.

The Danger Of The Phones Is Real: Concerned Father Warns Parents To Limit Children’s Use Of Devices After His 4-Year-Old Daughter Underwent SurgeryThe Danger Of The Phones Is Real: Concerned Father Warns Parents To Limit Children’s Use Of Devices After His 4-Year-Old Daughter Underwent SurgeryHelea / Shutterstock.com

This almost always affects only one eye, which usually means one eye would work effectively while the other would not.

Luckily for Dachar's daughter, the surgery was successful, and the little girl regained the use of both her eyes.

Prevention of Amblyphobia

It is advised that rather than occupying their children with electric devices, parents should read books with them or engage in outdoor activities.

A periodical checkup at the eye doctor would also go a long way in the prevention of Amblyphobia in children, as early diagnosis leads to early treatment.

The Danger Of The Phones Is Real: Concerned Father Warns Parents To Limit Children’s Use Of Devices After His 4-Year-Old Daughter Underwent SurgeryAxel Bueckert / Shutterstock.com

Parents should to heed to these warnings and make sure their kids don’t spend so much time in front of the screen, and encourage them to engange in more outdoor activities for their relaxation time.

READ ALSO: A 14-Year-Old Girl Dies From Electrocution While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?