"My Mom Died In The Shower": 5-Year-Old Boy Runs For Help And Saves His Mother's Life. Now He Is Rewarded With An Honorary Title
Kids are wonderful. Sometimes young individuals surprise us in the most amazing way possible, helping us get through hard times and going as far as saving our lives.
Salvatore Cicalese is a 5-year-old boy from Arizona and his heroic act was one that saved his mother's life and spared him and his younger sibling a life of growing up without a parent.
While recounting the event to an ABC news agency, ABC, Salvatore's mom, Kaitlyn Cicalese, said she was having her routine bath when she suddenly had a seizure.
It was life-threatening and the mother of two immediately passed out, laying in the water in her bathroom. Her young boy, who was scared and had thought his mother was dead, immediately ran out for help. This young man didn't wait a minute nor did he take any chances.
He wrapped his two-month-old sibling up and, after a series of attempts trying to get out, he made his way to their neighbour's place. As soon as he got there, he said:
"My mom died in the shower, can you take care of us"
Jessica Penoyer, their next door neighbor, just stood there in total awe. She failed to grasp what was going on immediately and took the boys words for something else.
She thought he meant that his dog was dead, and took the two-month old baby wrapped in Salvatore's arms for a doll before the boy immediately corrected her. Shocked, she called 911 immediately.
Emergency services rushed to the Cicalese's home and found Salvatore's mum, Kaitlyn, unconscious in the bathroom. She hadn't die but, if they had gotten there any later, she might have drowned in the bath water.
Apparently, Kaitlyn had been having many seizures lately, and Salvatore, being scared of losing his mum, had ran out of the house with his sister to get help.
Although she refers to the incident as a traumatic experience for the young boy, she is very grateful, claiming that he saved her life with no prior training but his instincts.
The local firefighter service, having heard the story, decided to reward him with an honorary title.
They arrived at the house one morning and surprised Salvatore in the most amazing way possible. He got an honorary firefighter certificate, a shirt, an helmet and a patch. Their words to this young hero read;
"Rural Metro Fire wants to recognize you as an honorary firefighter. You can join the ranks of all these guys that came to help your mom"
Salvatore's instincts may have helped save his mom, but it also teach us a lesson about letting the little ones know what to do in emergency situations.
Teach your kids how to handle emergencies
Kids need to be trained to do the right thing in these circumstances, and here are some tips on how to help them be prepared:
1. Teaching kids the importance of dialling emergency hotlines such as 911 is important. You can make them practice on a toy phone for starters.
2. Explain to them what emergency situations are, as not every disaster is necessarily an emergency.
3. Give your kids a detailed emergency plan instruction.
Remember that it's better to be prepared for an emergency than to be sorry.
One Of The Cutest Things Ever: Adorable Twin Girls Glanced At Themselves While Watching Their Dad Play The Guitar