All Parents Should Know About The Danger: Mom Shares Heartbreaking Video Of Her Son Being Strangled By A Window Blind Cord

Family & Kids

March 21, 2019 17:03 By Mambee

One minute you're watching your kids playing happily. Then you turn your back for a second only to return and see them struggling to breathe and stay alive as a cord tightens, like a noose, around their neck. That was what these parents experienced and now they are warning other moms and dads of the 'silent killer' in many homes. 

All Parents Should Know About The Danger: Mom Shares Heartbreaking Video Of Her Son Being Strangled By A Window Blind CordFoto Cat / Shutterstock.com

READ ALSO: Home Safety: These 10 "Normal" Things May Be Extremely Dangerous For Your Toddlers

A study showed that more than 16,000 children were admitted to the hospital between 1990 and 2015 due to injuries resulting from window blinds, which puts it as an average of two kids every day. So we can understand why these parents felt it was very important to share their terrifying ordeal with the world. Everyone needs to learn from them.

All Parents Should Know About The Danger: Mom Shares Heartbreaking Video Of Her Son Being Strangled By A Window Blind CordYuliya Evstratenko / Shutterstock.com

A horrifying experience

A mother named Nicky was filming her sons when the sound of the phone caught her attention. She turned around to check but, as she did so, she was shocked by the sight of her son, Gavin, silently hanging from a pull cord.

All Parents Should Know About The Danger: Mom Shares Heartbreaking Video Of Her Son Being Strangled By A Window Blind Cordsurowa / Shutterstock.com

The mom immediately rushed to her boy. Gavin's father, Nate, also raced to the scene upon hearing the commotion. Nicky had dropped the camera when she ran to save her son so it continued taping the scary moment. 

READ ALSO: Driving With Kids: 8 Safety Rules That Parents Should Know And Follow

The terrified mother dialed 911 while Nate was attempting to resuscitate the boy. Nicky could be heard screaming on the phone. 

He choked himself! He's blue.

Nate could also be heard shouting for his son over and over again until finally, the sound of the boy gasping for air could be heard. It was such a terrifying moment, but thankfully it ended well.

Nicky and Nate, who shared their story with ABC, considered themselves very lucky that things did not end fatally. 

Is your window covering safe?

All Parents Should Know About The Danger: Mom Shares Heartbreaking Video Of Her Son Being Strangled By A Window Blind CordYuliya Evstratenko / Shutterstock.com

According to Parents For Window Blind Safety, there are a few things to look out for to ensure that your window blinds do not pose a danger to your children.

  1. There should not be pull cords that can be raised or lowered.
  2. The inner cords should be so tight that it won't create a loop that a small head can fit through. 
  3. You can also opt for cordless blinds. They do have cords but they are safely enclosed within the slats and little fingers cannot reach and pull them.

Keep in mind that kids under the age of five are more likely to suffer a blind cord accident or injury. Do your best to keep your home safe.

READ ALSO: According To Experts, It's Not Okay For A Child To Be Forced To Hug Anyone, Even Relatives