Mom Shocked To Receive $18,000 Bill From Hospital After They Treated Her Baby With A Bottle Of Formula And A Nap
July 20, 2018 13:40 By Mambee
A family of South Korean tourists was shocked when they received a bill of $18,000 just for taking their son to the hospital for a quick visit.
In 2016, Jang Yeo Im and her family were visiting San Francisco when her then 8-month-old son, Park Jeong Whan fell off their hotel room bed and hit his head.
Hospital charged parents $18,000 for their baby's nap and a bottle of formula— Healthy News Daily (@eHealthyDaily) June 29, 2018
The family of Park Jeong-whan was billed $18,00 by a San Francisco ER that deemed him uninjured, after her fell off a bed. The charge was mostly for 'trauma activation… https://t.co/Sh99ZCIuqH
The boy was not bleeding but he was crying a lot so Jang and her husband decided to take him to the hospital to get checked out and make sure nothing was wrong.
San Francisco hospital tries to make up for all the illegals using their hospital for free: Family Gets $18,000 Hospital Bill After Their Son Was Treated with a Bottle of Formula and a Nap https://t.co/x1sZQ8quii— AngeleyesEva (@AngeleyesEva) July 7, 2018
They called for an ambulance which then transported the family to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital. After some assessment, it was determined that Park Jeong was not seriously injured.
Spotmatik Ltd / Shutterstock.com
They were in the hospital for only about three hours during which time Park only had some formula and took a nap.
hanongsuk harakunno / Shutterstock.com
Two years later, Jang and her family were shocked to receive a bill of $18,836 for that hospital visit. The huge chunk of it was a $15,666 for what was referred to as 'trauma activation.'
This meant the amount the trauma center charged for assembling a group of medical professionals to help deal with a patient’s potentially life-threatening injuries in the ER.
Speaking to Kaiser Health News, the mom said that was a lot of money. In her opinion, it would have been different if the boy actually got special treatment. But the hospital did nothing for her son, she said. And she saw no reason why she should be forced to pay the bill.
A spokesman for the hospital explained that even though the child did not end up needing the trauma unit, the cost of being ready for trauma is expensive.
However, since this story began making waves on the internet, it has recently been revealed that Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital has decided to waive the $15,666 trauma response fee.
UPDATE: Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital has agreed to waive baby Park Jeong-whan's $15,666 trauma response fee. pic.twitter.com/usOaUVwJYG— Jenny Gold (@JennyAGold) July 19, 2018
The hospital said it did a clinical review and also apologized to the family "for any distress experienced over the bill." The management stated that it was glad that this experience gave them "an opportunity to review their system and consider changes."
Having children is the biggest gift of life. It is essential to give them the happiest childhood. Here is one more powerful story to prove that.