A Warning To All Parents! 9-Month-Old Boy Gets Second Degree Burns After Mom Sprayed Him With Water From Garden Hose
June 8, 2018 18:18 By Mambee
A mother had no clue that her idea of a fun summer would end up terribly scarring her little boy.
Dominique Woodger was only having fun with her 9-month old son when things turned awry. She turned on the garden hose so she could fill up the kiddie pool with water for her kid to play in.
However, she accidentally sprayed little Nicholas with the water, which caused second-degree burns in over 30 percent of his body.
NinaMalyna / shutterstock.com
The incident happened back in 2016, but fire officials are sharing the story once again to warn parents to be very careful. In a tweet posted by the Las Vegas Fire Rescue, they explained the danger of 'non-flowing water inside a hose.'
In the post, it was pointed out that a garden hose which has been exposed to direct sunlight might cause the water in it to heat up to up to 140 degrees, and this can cause serious burns to kids.
Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals. Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals. pic.twitter.com/FMkzEt27xl— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) June 4, 2018
The post advised that you should always let the water flow for a while just to be safe before directing the hose to people or pets.
This is something that MOST people don't think of. It should be used on children, adults, pets and plants. It like securing furniture to the wall so it will fall over. How many people do that? A simple dresser can fall over trapping kids.— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) June 6, 2018
Dominique's mistake was one that most parents wouldn't predict. In their eagerness to kick off the fun, she did not realize there was any danger to worry about.
Omg that poor child..the pain :(— KUFan (@kufan4life) June 5, 2018
While speaking to KNXV TV, the mom revealed that she had no clue the water coming out of the hose was hot when she sprayed her son.
At first, Dominique thought the boy was crying because he was upset about having water on his face. "I didn't think it was burning him." Then she noticed that his skin had begun to peel and blisters were popping up.
The fire department captain explained that it was 115 degrees that day, and this meant the water in the hose could have been up to 150 degrees hot.
Poor babe. The heat here is brutal and we must really be aware of its dangers all around.— Its_me_Reb (@Hi_its_Reb) June 4, 2018
Fortunately, Nicholas made a full recovery following the accident. And many parents who had no idea of any danger attached to garden hoses can now be more careful.
Having children is the biggest gift of life. It is essential to give them the happiest childhood. Here is one more powerful story to prove that.