An Incredible Comeback: Family Says Goodbye And Turns Off Man's Life Support Only For Him To Wake Up The Next Day

Date January 11, 2019

A former sports announcer is being dubbed a 'miracle man' after he recovered despite being almost brain-dead. 

On December 12, just a day after he turned 61, T. Scott Marr was found unresponsive on his bed by his son. An ambulance was called and he was transported to the hospital. 

READ ALSO: Miracle Baby Who Was Pulled Out From Mother's Womb Is All Grown Up And Having A Good Time With Her Dad

According to Omaha, doctors told the family that Marr showed signs of a severe stroke, which caused his brain to swell significantly. He was placed on breathing machines and it seemed like he would not make it. 

Neurosurgeon Dr. John Treves told the publication that there was nothing they could do for him and he was declared brain dead. When Marr's four children came to visit, they were told that their dad's prognosis didn't look good. 

Because he showed no neurological improvement, the family opted to have Marr's breathing tubes removed. Preston, Marr's daughter, said they did not want him lying in the hospital bed any longer than he needed to. 

In a Facebook post, Preston explained:

As we waited for him to be assessed we had started to come to terms that we needed to say our goodbyes, as we were saying our goodbyes we were told he wasn’t an eligible candidate for organ donation.. us kids knowing dad, knew he didn’t want us sitting around and just waiting for something we thought was impossible to happen... so we decided to extubate him and be there with him in his last moments..

She and her siblings - Ryan, Lauren, and Drew - said their goodbyes and decided it was time to make funeral arrangements. However, the very next morning, Preston got a call from her aunt who said Marr seemed responsive.

READ ALSO: Toddler And His 1-Year-Old Brother Survived The Horrific Car Crash And A Few Days Without Water Or Food

Marr's daughter was shocked when she arrived at the hospital room and greeted her father to see that he responded with a smile. 

I literally thought I was dreaming. It was the craziest moment ever.

Miraculously, he regained consciousness and even began to improve. It turned out he had a condition known as posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome. Marr credits his faith in God for his incredible recovery.

I’m not an extremely religious person. I don’t go to church every Sunday. But I do believe in God. I believe with all my heart. And now this is just proof for me that everything I’ve ever heard is true. That he loves me. That he’s right there for me. ... It was pretty much a miracle.

Marr began physical, occupational and speech therapy to regain his abilities and the family has received a lot of support from the online community.

We can only imagine how happy and relieved Marr's family was when he became conscious after they had lost all hope. This is definitely one miracle worth celebrating.

READ ALSO: Mum Was Told Her Newborn Baby Had Only A Few Days To Live. 14 Years Later The Girl Is Still Thriving