A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?

LifeStyle & Health

November 14, 2018 13:52 By Mambee

There are so many things that we can achieve with the use of our smartphones. Due to how convenient and useful they are, dependence on them has also grown over the years.

READ ALSO: Never Sleep With Your Phone Charger Next To Your Bed - It Can Be Incredibly Dangerous

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?

Africa Studio / Shutterstock.com

While these smartphones have a lot of advantages, there are also quite a few drawbacks as well. So many accidents have happened on the highway because of drivers making calls or texting while driving. The reports have it that texting and driving is the leading cause of death in teens.

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?

TORWAISTUDIO / Shutterstock.com

But we should not forget that this device is fueled by electricity, and we must be careful regarding this matter.  A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?

BlueSkyImage / Shutterstock.com

Madison Coe's story

A 14-year-old girl from Lovington was the latest recorded victim of smartphone-related death after she was electrocuted while using her phone as she took her bath.

Madison Coe, as described by her Mother and Grandmother must have either grabbed the phone while in the bathtub or plugged it in, while in there, leading to the incident.

It was reported that the teen had a burn mark on her hand, indicating that she must have grabbed the phone. She had just graduated from 8th grade from the Terra Vista Middle School in Frenship ISD, before this tragic event.

She was described as a smart and jovial girl with a zeal for life and wisdom beyond her years.

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?madison coe

TORWAISTUDIO / Shutterstock.com

 

This isn't the first time incidents such as this have happened either. A phone cable electrocuted a teenage girl from Hoan Kiem, in Vietnam while she was asleep in 2017.

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?madison coe

Lenka Horavova / Shutterstock.com

There were tears in the cable which exposed the teen to the electric shock while she slept.

The same year, a pregnant French woman was found dead in a bathtub, while a smartphone, thought to be responsible for her death, charged besides the tub.

READ ALSO: Use It Smart! 7 Interesting Hacks For Smartphones Owners

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?

Anna Litvin / Shutterstock.com

Cell phone safety tips

These are a few tips that keep you safe, while you enjoy your smartphone.

1. Keeping the phone away from your head as much as possible is very important.

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?

Elizaveta Galitckaia / Shutterstock.com

2. Text: Try to text when possible because it reduces the amount of time your phone spends close to your head and body. 

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?woman; Internet; phone; social networks

Rawpixel.com / Shutterstock.com

4. When not in use, switch the phone to flight mode.

5. Try not to use your phone in a moving vehicle.

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?

Rawpixel / Depositphotos.com

6. Remember not to use it in the bathroom, or take it with wet hands.

A 14-Year-Old Girl Got Electrocuted While Using A Smartphone In The Bathroom. How Can We Ensure Our Phones Don’t Pose Harm To Us?

tab62 / Shutterstock.com

It is sad that young Madison had to pay the price for people to be enlightened about this social issue, but we can do well to avoid more sad cases if we do the needful, and spread the word to everyone we come across. Prevention is always better than cure. 

Health is the most valuable treasure. Here is an inspirational video to prove you that!

Enjoy!

READ ALSO: Woman Gets Fired For Being Pregnant And It Was Done Via A Text Message