Mom's Heartbreaking Story About Losing Her 18-Day-Old Daughter After The Child Was Exposed To Disease At A Wedding

There is hardly anything as devastating as losing a child. This was the kind of pain a woman named Nicole Sifrit had to face when their infant child, Marianna was taken from her after contracting meningitis. 

Mariana's parents took her to a wedding where it was believed she contracted the disease from someone who touched or kissed the baby at the event. 

READ ALSO: After The Tragic Death Of Their Beloved Dog, A Couple Gives Important Warning To All Pet Owners

Nicole Walker / Facebook

 

 

The grieving mother took to social media to announce the loss of her bay while also warning parents everywhere of the dangers of allowing strangers to touch their newborns.

Nicole Walker / Facebook

 

In her post, she expressed her sadness that her little one passed away from the terrible disease. 

Thank you to everyone who has followed her journey and supported us through this. In her 18 days of life she made a huge impact on the world and we hope with Mariana’s Story we save numerous newborn’s lives. R.I.P. sweet angel.

Nicole Walker / Facebook

 

 

Nicole revealed that they were at the wedding when they noticed something unusual about baby Mariana. The child was not eating and was extremely lethargic. Within two hours, her organs began to fail and she just stopped breathing.

READ ALSO: 7 Warning Symptoms Of Autism Parents Should Know About 

Chaikom / Shutterstock.com

 

They immediately left the event and carried the child to a hospital. It was there she was diagnosed with HSV-1, a common virus which is caused by herpes. 

Photographee.eu / Shutterstock.com

 

Doctors opined that it was possible that Mariana touched her mouth with her hand after being kissed by someone who was carrying the virus. The carrier might have had a cold sore. Because the baby touched her mouth, it caused the virus to spread rapidly.

Sadly, there was no way Nicole would have known that the carrier had this condition because it might not have been a visibly open sore.

Africa Studio / Shutterstock.com

 

Usually, adults survive the meningitis virus but for newborns, its effects are deadly as their immune system is not well developed.

The HSV-1 herpes simplex virus is quite common among adults. The breakout often occurs when a person has cold sores in or around the mouth. If a baby contracts it, it can spread to their brains, lungs, and liver. 

So, as Nicole warned, the best thing to do in your infant's early days and weeks is to keep them away from strangers as much as possible.

READ ALSO: Skin Cancer Left Behind: One-Eyed Heroic Dog Rescued Owner’s Life By Sniffing A Strange Spot On Her Nose

 

We recommend