This Simple Self Massage Techniques Can Help Relieve That Back And Neck Pain You Have Been Battling With
June 12, 2019 15:39 By Mambee
Backaches happen as a result of muscle tear, and this can be caused by heavy lifting, prolonged standing, or sitting.
aijiro / Shutterstock.com
Any repetitive motion that causes continual stress on the back could lead to muscle injuries, while neck pain is caused by poor posture like lying down with your neck at awkward positions or looking down on your phone for a prolonged period of time.
Most of these aches can be resolved by over-the-counter treatments in under six weeks, and are usually viewed as acute.
AfricaStudio / Shutterstock.com
Chronic causes of back pain include lumbar disc herniation, lumbar degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, and spinal stenosis.
Now that you now know what causes the pain in your back or neck, here are some simple self-massage techniques that may help you:
1. The use of acupressure: this means massaging your trigger points that are connected to your back and neck to relieve the pain. This does not relieve you immediately, so make sure you give yourself ample time.
Edmund Lowe Photography / Shutterstock.com
Ensure you lie down in a comfortable position and apply pressure at the point, using rotating or up and down movements. To make sure you’re massaging the right point, consult with a specialist first as there are several points in the body.
2. You can use a tennis ball to relieve the back pain by lying on your back with knees bent and feet on the ground. Gently lift your hips and place two tennis balls under your back, and stay still for at least 60 seconds. You can move the ball around to target areas that hurt you. Be careful not to press your spine into the ball.
fizkes / Shutterstock.com
3. You can also use a hot towel, but make sure the towel is soft. Squeeze the towel so that it looks like a band. While holding one end in each hand, apply moderate pressure and rub it up and down your neck.
4. You can easily soothe your upper back pain with your hand. You can do this by standing straight and using your left hand to apply pressure to the spot that hurts. Keep doing that for about 30 seconds until you feel a release of tension. Ensure that you don’t use too much pressure.
puhhha / Shutterstock.com
It is important to note that these massages are only effective for the following conditions:
- Low back pain;
- Cancer-related fatigue;
- Osteoarthritis of the knee;
- Reducing postoperative pain;
BigBlueStudio / Shutterstock.com
- Boosting the body’s immune system functioning;
- Decreasing the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome;
- Lowering blood pressure;
- Reducing headache frequency;
- Easing alcohol withdrawing symptoms;
Magic mine / Shutterstock.com
- Decreasing pain in cancer patients;
Other ways to relieve back and neck pain
You could also ease the back and neck pain by stretching and paying attention to your sleeping positions. You can also try sleeping on a firm mattress if the one you have is soft. Applying ice or heat to the area you are experiencing pain could also help.
ESB Professional / Shutterstock.com
We hope you find this helpful, but if you have tried all these and you still experience pain, please make sure you visit or call a doctor.
This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not treat yourself, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for harm that may result from using the information provided in the article. The material in this article is for informational purposes only and does not replace the advice of a certified specialist.